- I have been working with languages all my life and am also a lifelong language learner.
- Starting out with a translation qualification from Germany I moved to England and after working two years as a staff and freelance translator I was offered a job at the Educational Trust of the (now Chartered) Institute of Linguists in London, commissioning and delivering vocational and professional language qualifications.
- 2000-2020 examinations manager for various CIOL exams and external contracts.
- 1993 – present member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIL) in the Translating Division, since 2018 registered as a Chartered Linguist (CL) in the category Language Specialist.
- 1986 - present freelance work, at first mainly as a translator, then increasingly as setter, vetter and assessor for various professional and vocational exams for various awarding bodies.
- My ‘day-time’ job at CIOL always involved vetting, editing and moderation of material, and collaboration with linguists across a wide range of languages. It required research skills into many different topics and cultures which is an aspect of my work I particularly enjoy, and I believe is an asset when it comes to developing new specialist areas.
- Since 2021 full-time freelance language professional offering
Language Assessments including
any aspects of exam material preparation and assessment
reviewer for TWB
reviewer for Alternatives to Violence Project Britain (AVPB)
Hobbies: learning languages. Qualified in French at C1 level, all else is purely for fun, Swedish and Norwegian at A2 level, currently concentrating on learning Finnish as I love the country and have close connections. Other hobbies are reading, Tai Chi, walking, travelling and cpd.
This is how I continue my learning in my area of expertise
I genuinely enjoy learning and equally love delving into new subjects as well as keeping up with new developments in my areas of expertise as I find everything interesting and like being able to add new puzzle pieces to the overall picture. I do this in both languages through reading, watching programmes, LinkedIn connections, courses and webinars and live debates or conferences. One of my favourite learning tools is FutureLearn. Currently, I am working on two areas of particular interest, German wines (I come from a winegrowing area) and environment (in particular new technology and biodiversity).
This is how a client recently inspired me
One of my favourite jobs is working with a board game inventor. I am collaborating closely with the author and the designer doing the artwork. I can ask as many questions as I like to make sure I can visualise the actual game and as a result of it, sometimes text may be rephrased in both English and German. It is enjoyable to work as part of a team to create an end product that’s as close to perfect as possible.
Ulrike Heinze ist eine ausgezeichnete Korrektorin und Lektorin. Ohne ihre Hilfe wären meinen Publikationen großer Schaden entstanden.
I have worked with Ulrike on a number of occasions on German translations, transcriptions and sub-titling projects - mostly all for corporate and marketing videos. Her accuracy, attention to detail and ability to make real sense of often difficult subjects made all the difference to the end quality of the films. She was also a pleasure to work with. I would not hesitate to recommend her to any other freelancer or employer.
|Literary & Creative
|Tourism & Living
|Marketing & Advertising
|ENGLISH > GERMAN (DE)