- instruction manuals;
- user guides; or
- data sheets.
- translating patent applications for their filing in the national phase before the SPTO;
- proofreading and correcting patent applications; and
- managing the terminology and translation memories.
- Certificates of Incorporation;
- Certificates on Change of Name; or
- Patent Assignments, among others.
My professional methodology for a standard translation project is
Patent Application Translation Project Details
- Receive the translation project.
- Research published patents databases. This research is twofold: on the one hand, patents in the same field or sector and on the other patents from the same applicant in order to adapt the terminology.
- Prepare a glossary with the main terms found and terms that may be useful to maintain coherence and cohesion throughout the document.
- Adapt the format to the filing requirements.
- Translate the application.
First revision focusing on orthotypographical issues.
Second revision focusing on style and terminology.
- Optional: external review.
- Send the translation to the client.
- Period of time available to deal with translation issues, such as modifications or clarifications.
This is how I manage terminology consistency in my area of expertise
Terminology consistency management.
When I receive a new translation project, I create or update databases, glossaries and translation memories.
In this case, I search for information about the client (website, articles…) and start creating a glossary specific to that client and the particular area of expertise of the document. I add all the terms relevant to the translation to this glossary. In addition, I create and update the translation memory for the client/subject area.
Old client, new area of expertise.
I create a new glossary specifically for this new area and try to maintain consistency with previous translations. I also update the client’s general translation memory and create a new one for this field.
Old client, same area of expertise.
As I translate, I update all the terminology resources.
|Language||Legal||Patents||Technical & Engineering|
|ENGLISH > SPANISH (ES)||€0.065per word||€0.065per word||€0.065per word|
|FRENCH > SPANISH (ES)||€0.065per word||€0.065per word||€0.065per word|