Your subtitling master
Hi there! If you’re a Croatian or English-speaking film director looking to shoot their shot at international film festivals, you’ve come to the right profile.
I’m Jules, a subtitling professional from Croatia. I have a strong passion for quality cinema and expanding my clients’ viewership. Films I’ve worked on have been featured (and awarded!) at various international festivals, and carry cultural value, such as:
- Fifth Floor on the Left (dir. Renata Lučić), featured at KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival, Wicked Queer: The Boston LGBT Film Festival and Verashort – Veracruz Short Film Festival
- Nihilist (dir. Renara Lučić), featured at Liburnia Film Festival, Mediterranean Film Festival Split and Revue of Croatian Filmmaking
- The Flag (dir. Filip Filković Philatz)
Love cultural translation
I hold an MA in Anglophone Literature and Culture and my studies have had a strong emphasis on both film studies and art. This allows me to understand cultural nuance and use the right language to convey your message and work to various audiences. My work in cultural translation includes
- art exhibition catalogues and promotional material
- programs, booklets and promotional material for theaters and festivals
- screenplay translation and adaptation
Marketing and writing
Alongside being a translator, I’m a writer and marketing manager. This allows me to understand the process behind marketing and (trans)create copy that catches the eye.
Your mutilingual friend
I would love to hear about your projects, and would be honored to help your work reach an international audience. Connect with me via ZingChat or via my socials at the top of my profile.
My professional methodology for a standard translation project is
I have a clear process of working through my client’s project:
- Material overview and analysis - e.g. watching the film, discussing terminology with the creator and doing research
- Subtitle translation, creation and timing - using a subtitling tool to create subtitles that both convey the message and fit the on-screen action
- Reviews and spellchecks - every project in my hands receives three reviews and goes through two spellchecking processes
- Receiving and implementing feedback from the creator, producer or client
The same applies to my textual translation (with the exception of the subtitling bit!)
As a writer in my native language, this is how I would describe my style
Both in my Croatian writing and in English, I strive to adapt to the task and the audience at hand. I’m experienced in various types of writing, including:
- poetry and prose
- blog and social media posts
- academic and critical writing.
|Language||Subtitles||Arts & Culture||Marketing & Advertising|
|CROATIAN > ENGLISH (US)||€8.00per word||€0.08per word||€0.08per word|
|ENGLISH > CROATIAN (HR)||€8.00per word||€0.08per word||€0.08per word|